Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Most Stressful Responsibility

NaBloPoMo January 2014  

WHICH OF YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES STRESS YOU OUT THE MOST?

I would have to say raising my children.  And I wouldn't change that stress for the world.  Because they are one of my greatest joys.

I am remembering, clear as day, the moment they wheeled my oldest child (now 17) into my room at the hospital.  He had to go on oxygen right away for a couple of hours after he was born, and since labor was induced, they wouldn't let me out of bed for 24 hours.  So when his little bassinet was wheeled into the room was the first time I had seen him.

I was 35 years old.  I had waited, planned, waited more, etc, etc, etc for almost 20 years for that moment.  And when I peeked over the edge of the bassinet, I thought, "OK, WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO NOW?"

Would I give up my life to save even one of theirs?  In a heartbeat.  When they were born, they were defenseless and it was my responsibility (and my husband's) to provide their every need.  We have been their first teachers.  

Our oldest is quickly getting to the point (if he has not already passed it) where he will begin to assume responsibility for his own decisions and actions.  Getting him to the point where he is able to do that has been and is our responsibility.  Parenthood is an awesome responsibility, not to be taken lightly.

I will never be the perfect parent.  But as long as I have put in my best effort, that will be enough.  My parents were not perfect, but I know now they did their best (although I would not have sworn to that at the time).

So, what about you?  What is your most stressful responsibility and how do you handle it?  Let us know in the comments? :O) - Peace out, y'all.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you...raising my kids was my greatest responsibility. they are all grown now, and I have regrets about mistakes I made with my firstborn. I know I did my best with what I knew at the time, but still...anyway....raising children is the greatest job, though also the hardest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like they used to say about the Peace Corps, Mare. I say, "Parenthood, the toughest job you'll ever love!"

    ReplyDelete