Wednesday, January 1, 2014

REVIEW - Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie

Oh, I am SO glad that it's f-i-n-a-l-l-y 2014 and I can start in on my reading challenges.  It has been increasingly difficult the last few days to hold off!

I am JUST SICK!  I had this done and then cross-posted the review on another site, and apparently hit "cut" instead of "copy".  Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of the other site, and retracing my steps has proven fruitless.  *ARGH*



"Secret Adversary" was Agatha Christie's second book, published first in 1922.  It introduces the detective duo of Tommy and Tuppence, two young people fresh from their service in WWI (he as a soldier, she as a health-care worker).  After they have a chance meet-up, they determine to go into business together as "The Young Adventurers".  Of course, they become quickly embroiled in a mystery full of intrigue and international implications.

Agatha Christie was a very prolific author and her works have been adapted for the large and small screens, video games, graphic novels, stage plays ... just about anything of which one could think.

I enjoyed this book immensely.  I also remember seeing a miniseries with the Tommy and Tuppence characters, back in the early 1980's, which first caught my attention.  I just can't believe it's taken me so long to read the book!  I sincerely appreciated the fact that there was not a lot of 'romantic activity' going on in this book.  It did not take away a thing from my enjoyment of this read.

Not only do I highly recommend this book, I added this book to my lists at the following 2014 reading challenges:


So...had you heard of "cozy" books before this year?  If so, what is your favorite?  Share with us so we can feed our book addictions too! :O)


2 comments:

  1. Oooh! This is the only Agatha Christie I've read so far. It was the first story in a 1920s omnibus I bought and I loved it. I could see a mile away who the secret adversary was, but I still enjoyed it. I was quite surprised at how 'violent' it was for a 1920s book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I had to look up omnibus. /And/ I'm jealous that you knew who done it. I was thinking the cousin. :O)

    ReplyDelete