Thursday, January 23, 2014

Keeping Cool in the Pressure Cooker

NaBloPoMo January 2014  

DO YOU THINK IT'S POSSIBLE TO CONTROL YOUR TEMPER WHEN FACING ENORMOUS PRESSURE?

First let's look at the words possible and probable?  Is something possible; could it happen?  Yes.  Is something probable, likely to happen?  That could be another story.  Some of it depends on the amount and quality of the perceived pressure.

Say someone with a full cart cuts in front of my at the grocery store.  Will I lose my temper?  Probably not.  Will I use a release valve like thinking, "Putz," under my breath? There's a good chance.  Will it work and stave off a display of temper on my part?  Yes.

However, let's change up the situation.  Say that person's cart hits and injures one of my children during their mad dash to the checkout line.  Will I lose my temper?  The chances of that will have just gone up dramatically.

So, here's a little peek into my thought process at that time:

Of course, the above example shows some sort of intent on the mad dasher's part (to get to the line first).  Maybe they didn't see my child and the injury was an accident.  (Because if the injury was intentional...buddy, it's on!)  Will the person apologize or take responsibility for their actions?  What if they are a single parent rushing home from work to make supper for their children before cleaning up, helping the kids with their homework, falling into bed exhausted, and getting up early the next day to do it all over again?  That would change things for me.

I suppose I should say at this point that when I lose my temper, it would most likely come out as a verbal tirade.  I am loathe to get physical, but will not hesitate to use that option in self-defense.

This is another reason I took up a more regular practice of prayer and meditation at the beginning of the year.  They both build up your inner strength and soothe life's pressures to make it less likely that the pressure to pass the critical point.

4 comments:

  1. Prayer and meditation work wonders! I have a pretty bad temper. My moods get a little haywire sometimes. I love how you looked at what may have been happening in the other person's life. That has helped me tremendously recently, to look at the other person's situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment, Candace. It's very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your great thoughts LuAnn!! You always get me thinking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just like I always find something to make my mouth water at your blog, Jocelyn! :O)

    ReplyDelete