Friday, January 3, 2014

Procrastination: The Death of Progress

NaBloPoMo January 2014  


DO YOU HAVE A TENDENCY TO PROCRASTINATE, OR DO YOU LIKE CHECKING THINGS OFF YOUR TO-DO LIST?

Good morning.  My name is LuAnn.  ("Hi, LuAnn.")  I am a procrastinator.  

When I think of where I could be in my life if I did not procrastinate (or did less of it), it makes me want to scream.  But letting that weigh me down, on top of everything else in life that vies for my time and attention, would be fruitless.  The good news is, though, that I do not have to say that way.  That's one reason I like this time of year.  Although you don't need to wait until the New Year to start goals or habits, there seems to be this quantum sense of hope and renewal.

To compound the problem, I love making lists of things to check off.  It is one of my strengths; I made some dang good plans!  But sometimes it is also a source of procrastination, in that I will make so many or such long lists that I forestall actually beginning the project.

But the past has passed.  It can't be changed.  There is hope, however.  Time does not appear to be ending anytime soon, so if you are not satisfied with the way things are going in your life, you can change.  Let me repeat that.  You.  Can.  Change.

For instance, my desk has needed attention for some time now.  Today, I can change that.  Check back tomorrow to hold me accountable?

And what about you?  What is one small thing you could do today that would move you toward one of your goals?  Let me know in the comments?  

*+*+*+*+*
Notice the 2nd button at the top of the post?  Jeff Goins is running a "500 Words a Day" writing challenge during the month of January.  Click that l'il ole button for all the info and to sign up!

2 comments:

  1. I admit it. I'm a procrastinator too! When I buckle down I get a bunch done, but, it's so easy to cherry pick the simple or fun tasks and leave the others for later! One of my "improvements" for 2014 is to get better at not putting things off. My small thing is simply following my list that I write each day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea, Wendi. We'll probably get more done with small steps done consistently instead of big leaps and having to rest every 2-3 steps., right? :O)

    ReplyDelete