Friday, January 17, 2014

How to Make Anyone Happy

     



TONI ASKS, "SHARE YOUR FOOL-PROOF WAYS TO MAKE OTHERS HAPPY."

I don't think I have a 'fool-proof' way to make other people happy.  What makes one person happy may not work for another person.

I remember in junior high school, riding home one day with a friend of mine when she found out her grandfather had passed away.  She cried the rest of the way home.  I was a little at loose ends.  Only one of my grandparents was still alive.  The other grandfather had passed away before I was born.  I had only seen each of my grandmothers one time.  We talked for a while, and we played some kind of board game.  I tried to be sensitive to her feelings.  I think it helped her; she outright laughed at one point.  It did not 'make everything better', but maybe it provided some distraction.

I would try to find out what made a person happy and then help them get it.  Sometimes I can be direct and just ask.  Other times I have to ask around that question - like if I'm visiting someone in the hospital.  If it is someone I know well, I may try to direct the conversation towards a happier time, or something I know they enjoy.

If it is someone I do not know well, and there appeared to be a problem, I would ask them if there was any way I could help them.  That is better psychologically, I think, than asking, "What is wrong?"  I was delivering pizzas once (in Salt Lake City), and while returning to my car, a woman went quickly by, crying.  I asked her if she needed a ride somewhere.  She stopped and looked at me, like she was just then noticing my presence.  She continued on, walking slower.  I never found out why she was upset.  Did it help her to know that someone noticed and cared?  I hope so.

Can you share something you do that brings joy to the lives of others?  (I know that would make me happy!)

Have a GREAT weekend!




2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that it is different for everyone. I like what you said about asking them what they need. People know what works for them. Sometimes you just need to listen and let them know you understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, Candace! Glad to 'see' you here! :O)

    ReplyDelete