Monday, January 6, 2014

REVIEW: Packing Light by Allison Vesterfelt



(Disclaimer:  I received this e-book free from Story Cartel in exchange for an unbiased review.  My opinions are my own.)

At my 5-year high school reunion, a fair number of the students were married and had at least one child.  But what happens when you life does not follow that 'usual' path?  Where does the life you are living intersect with the life you want to live, and the life you were meant to live?

Allison and her friend Sharaya set out on a 6-month trip around the United States.  ALL of them.  They will visit each of the 50 states, earn money by Sharaya performing with her guitar and Allison selling merchandise (cd's, etc.), blogging and writing a book.  They will depend (more than once) on the kindness of strangers.

Nothing is held back.  We hear the successes, the joys, the sorrows, the fights, the sorrows, the pettiness, the sacrifices made by each participant.  I think these two ladies did what a lot of performers and artists dream of doing ... trading the "have to in order to survive" life for "this is my life in which to THRIVE"!

A lot is said in the book of the beauty of Sharaya's voice.  While I have not heard her music, I figure it must be good or this journey would not have happened.  I want to give a shout out to Ally as well.  Her voice comes through, clear like a bell in her book.  It is itself sweet, sweet music.

I am oh, so grateful to both Ally and Sharaya, as well as their supporters, friends and family for sharing this experience with us.  They took a HUGE leap of faith and are the better for it.  Indeed, the times when I  have stepped out of my comfort zone and taken a chance, I have been blessed with both tangible and intangible rewards.

So, if you are satisfied with your life the way it is, read this book and pass it along to someone else when you are done.  (They invite you to do just that in the "afterward" of the book, so I figure it's ok for me to do it here.)  Or buy them a copy! (*wink*)  If you are feeling that your life has gotten a bit 'samey', get this book, read it ... then come find me so we can help each other get from where we are to where we want to be!

This book helps me fulfill the following reading challenges for 2014:
Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge
2014 ARC Reading Challenge
Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks

Linking up with:

  





3 comments:

  1. Looks great! I love to read but am having trouble finishing anything lately. I must have started 15 books in the last few months. They are now all over my house with bookmarks or loaded partially read on my ipad... Whenever I come to your blog, it makes me want to read. You are a good influence :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we are often at a crossroads ( an intersection). I think this sounds like a wonderful book. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Candace - I hear ya. Until I started these reading challenges I took FOREVER to finish a book. We are both going to do GREAT in that respect this year.a YAY US!

    @Katherine - I think Packing Light is still available on Story Cartel for about another week, if you are interested. Thanks for hangin' out on the porch. :O)

    ReplyDelete