Thursday, January 9, 2014

Breaking the Camel's Back


NaBloPoMo January 2014  

A PRESSURE POINT TRANSLATES IN JAPANESE TO "TENDER SPOT".  WHAT ARE YOUR PRESSURE POINTS?

Friends and family, in general.  Children (especially my own), animals, or those unable to protect themselves.

I've told my children on more than one occasion that I don't like guns.  I could live happily if I never had to see one, let alone have to hold one in my hands.  On the other hand, if someone tries to get into our house and harm my family, I would not hesitate to use a gun to protect my family.  Someone messing with my kids will send me from 0 to crazy in half a heartbeat.

I'm also not too fond of people harassing or bullying animals or human adults/children ... any animate thing that is not as capable of protecting or defending him or herself than the 'average' person whatever that may be.  For four years, I worked in a residential/training facility for adults with MR/DD (mental retardation and developmental disabilities).  On more than one occasion I have stepped in between two fighting individuals or close enough to one person intent on harming herself to sustain injury myself.  Strangely enough, before that job, I probably would not have put myself in harm's way.

It's not that I'm any more heroic than I was before, I just have a clearer definition of situations for which I will or will not stand

No comments:

Post a Comment