Friday, January 24, 2014

Doin' the Happy Dance

    


TONI ASKS, "YOUR HAPPINESS SHOULD DEPEND ON NOBODY BUT YOURSELF.  HOW CAN YOU TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR OWN HAPPINESS?"


The happiest I have ever been has been when I have taken that step out in faith.  Yes, I was scared, but I did it anyway.  That as much as anything else, showed me that what I did had a lot to do with whether or not I would be happy.  Sure, if someone walked up and gave me a winning lotto ticket, I would be happy.  (If the winning ticket were for a large amount, I would REALLY be happy! :O) )

But I can also be happy without winning a lotto jackpot.  And if you wait around for a jackpot to be happy, you'll probably be waiting for a very, very long time.  That is when you surrender your possibilities for happiness to someone or something else.  How sad.

My house is very crowded right now.  There are 2 adults (my husband and me), two teenage boys, 1 tween girl, four dogs and 10 puppies.

I could concentrate on the lack of organization, the fact that there is hardly ever a quiet moment, the stunning amount of trash generated.  I could go on for a while and get more disheartened and depressed at every step.

Or I could be happy that we are living in our own house.  Many people don't.  Some don't even have a place to live.  I could be happy that the house built by my husband's paternal grandparents is still in the family.  I could be happy that one of my children's grandfather's houses is minutes away, and that there is a lot of cross-generational contact.  (I really only knew one of my grandparents, and I knew Mamaw (husband's paternal grandmother) better than all of my direct grandparents altogether.  I am.

I would like to hug my house.


6 comments:

  1. Aww what a beautiful post! Glad to hear you're happy LuAnn :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. another house hugger here =)
    bless you LuAnn - priorities

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a couple of Kodak moments to me! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Toni. :O) Hope you are doing well too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is all a choice, to be happy or not. And like you, I choose happiness ins spite of what goes on around me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you, Ugochi! Being happy is a lot more fulfilling than not!

    ReplyDelete