Monday, April 28, 2014

#AtoZChallenge - Being 'X-emplary" and Proverbs 31



Exemplary - worthy of imitation; commendable


25.  Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

What a wonderful world this would be if everyone worked to their potential and treated others they way they would like to be treated.  Strength and honour are some pretty stylin' threads!  And while accolades from our peers are definitely nice to get, I believe even more to be valued is the inner glow of satisfaction that we get from doing our best work, even if it is outside our comfort zone.  Every belief system has a provision for recognition of good work from its deity or leader, even if the world shows no notice.

29.  Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.

We are not in competition with others.  (Ok, maybe sometimes, like the Olympics, or elections.)  

Our biggest competition is with ourselves.

To gain that promotion at work is a fantastic thing.  To achieve that status while not resorting to shortcuts and dishonourable behavior is even better.  They say a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.  Sometimes the first step is the hardest.  But then you still have 1,759,999 (roughly) steps to go.  Determination is a commendable characteristic.  

To some extent, the people to whom our children look up seems to be controlled by the media.  Many of them are not exemplary.  Do you remember when Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber used to be clean-cut? Oy!  Let's be better examples for our children and young people.  Let's turn away from the vain competitions set by the world's standards and do what we know to be right and good.

Who has been a good example for you in your life?

~~~oOo~~~


(thanks to Jeremy @ Being Retro for the original button design, to dictionary.com for the definitions, and to picmonkey.com for the ability to customize the graphics.)

I'll be linking with the following groups:


   

11 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the quote I saw on FB a few days ago and it resonates with me. It said, I am in competition with no one..I have no desire to play the game of being better than anyone.I am simply trying to be better, than the person I was yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there. I do not give glory to any man (or woman) except the Greatest Man who ever lived, Jesus Christ. Of course, the most reverence must go to the Creator and Lifegiver, Jehovah God. (Psalms 86:12, 146:3; Isaiah 43:10)
    Enjoy the rest of the challenge!
    Entrepreneurial Goddess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EG! I enjoyed my visit to your blog too and am now following you on BlogLovin'! We are almost at the AtoZ finish line!

      Delete
  3. My first thought of my good examples is my parents. They were/are the epitome of service, charity and unconditional love. My second thought is my daughters, who sacrifice for their families and teach their children the gospel of Jesus Christ through not only their words but their actions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great examples, indeed, Gail. And you must be a pretty good example yourself, seeing as your daughters are carrying on your traditions! WTG!!!

      Delete
  4. Most often I find children to be who I look "up," too. They tend to be honest, non-judgmental, speak from the heart without meaning anything hurtful. We (society) tends to teach them otherwise, but some stay true to themselves and are great role models. It will be "them" that carry the world forward when I am old, so I place my stock and support (and hope) in the younger generations. I just hope I have honored those older than I the same I pray that I am worthy of the honor of those who follow me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great X post (even if you did cheat a little ^_~) Lots of good advice on who we should strive to be.

    ~Patricia Lynne~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, YA Author

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your encouraging post LuAnn!
    Congratulations - you are one of our featured guests on Inspire Me Monday this week at

    Create With Joy
    http://create-with-joy.com

    Have a wonderful week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Ramona, I am honored! Especially since you are one of my bloggy idols!

      Delete
  7. Thanks, Patricia! Let's hope I take my own advice too! :O)

    ReplyDelete