Thursday, April 3, 2014

#AtoZ Challenge - Proverbs 31 and Compassion



Compassionate - having or showing compassion, tenderness, sympathy

~~~oOo~~~

26.  She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.

When I think of compassion, for some reason how we treat those who are grieving dominates my thoughts.  We take them food, sit with our friends or neighbors, talk with them if they want to talk.

We have many opportunities each day to give a word of encouragement or congratulations to those with whom we interact.  Not just those who are grieving, but those who are feeling overwhelmed or unsure.  We've all been there.

30.  Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain; but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.

Yes, so we've all heard "Proverbs 31 Woman" or "Proverbs 31 Wife".  While in context, it's a mother giving her son advice on what kind of woman to marry, I put it out there that this is actually a good set of guidelines for us all, female or male, to follow ... to help make our time on this rock a little nicer.

I'm all for a healthy self-love, but a person who acknowledges that there is something greater than him or herself in the universe, and treats other people with respect, honor and compassion has a value "far above rubies.

Today, why don't we talk about times we have given or received compassion?  Share in the comments...pretty please? :O)

(thanks to Jeremy @ Being Retro for the original button design, to dictionary.com for the definitions, and to picmonkey.com for the ability to customize the graphics.)

8 comments:

  1. The world would be a much better place if everyone had more compassion.

    I have received compassion from more people than I can count, and I'm forever grateful.

    Damyanti Co-host, A to Z Challenge 2014, Latest Post

    Twitter: @damyantig
    #atozchallenge


    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so funny that this is the post today. I was actually thinking about Compassion as a C word yesterday.

    While I was eating lunch at a fast food restaurant yesterday, a kid -- probably in his early 20s if not late teens - came up to my table and asked if there was anyway that I could buy him lunch. He said he didn't have any money and hadn't eaten since the day before. I felt bad for him and spent the $8 on a meal. I wish I could've done more.

    Great post as always. Can't wait to read your "D" post!

    JC Gatlin
    http://jcgatlin.com/2014/04/03/cause-of-death/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post....I wrote about compassion today too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Compassion is something I do well, when it fits in my schedule. LOL Unfortunately, I struggle with being compassionate when it inconveniences my plans. It's something I'm constantly working on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to think I am compassionate every day. but, reality dictates that some days are easier than others, especially with being a caregiver. I am more compassionate than most I believe. I love everyone! But I still have my moments of anger. Just makes me human. :)

    Jamie Dement (LadyJai)
    My A to Z Challenge
    Caring for My Veteran

    ReplyDelete
  6. To J.C. - I'm glad to see that there are still compassionate strangers out there! It also reminds me of the old Red Skelton joke. "A stranger came up to me and said 'I haven't had a bite in days, so I bit him.'"

    To LuAnn, thanks for the post! Best regards to you, Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first thing that came to my mind were my friends who have always been there with their compassionate words when I was away from my family. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well said, we must be compassionate, always, for everyone around us could be fighting a harder battle!
    Shilpa Garg
    Co-Host AJ's wHooligan for the A to Z Challenge 2014

    ReplyDelete