Tuesday, January 3, 2017

My 2017 BetterWorldBooks Reading Challenge Sign-Up Etc


This is cool!  The graphic for the challenge also has the book list on it, so...not a lot of typing for me! I'll keep track of my books for this challenge on this post.  You can click on the button to get more information about the challenge.

My Booklist (section added 1/4/2017)
1.  A collection of short stories - The Best American Humorous Short Stories
2.  A young adult novel - The Parting by Beverly Lewis
3.  A book with a color in the title - Night of the Purple Moon 
4.  A book that's more than 100 years old - Unknown to History by Charlotte Mary Yonge - pub 1882
5.  A book you picked based on its cover
6.  A book set in a place you want to visit - A King Ensnared by JR Tomlin (Scotland)
7.  A book based on a fairy tale - Swept Away by Vanessa Riley
8.  A National Book Award Winner - 
9.  A book that takes place in a forest - ALTDORF: The Forest Nights #1 by JK Swift
10. A romance that takes place during travel
11.  A book under 200 pages
12.  A book over 400 pages - 
13.  A banned book - 
14.  A nonfiction book about nature
15.  A fantasy novel - Gateway to Nifleheim by Glenn G. Thater
16.  A book by a person of color - 
17.  A book by a female writer - My Father's House by Rose Chandler Johnson
18.  A book of poetry - Autumn Poetry by Jan Darrow 
19.  A book set in Asia
20.  A book about immigrants - 
21.  A book about a historical event - The Voyage by Roberta Kagan
22.  A book with a child narrator -
23.  A book translated from another language - 
24.  A book that's been adapted into a movie - 

And since that took a LOT less time to set up than I thought it would, I'm going to add...

~~~oOo~~~

MY TUESDAY BOOKISH LINK-UPS!!!


(edited 3 January 2017 @ 1122 hrs to reflect change of link-up host!)

Thanks to The Purple Princess for hosting Teaser Tuesday at her blog, The Purple Booker.


Thanks to Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea for hosting FCFP.

~~~oOo~~~


In this thrilling and candid memoir, world record-holding and controversial Big Wave surfer Garrett McNamara chronicles his emotional quest to ride the most formidable waves on earth.

~~~oOo~~~

TEASER TUESDAY

(from page 143)

"I was standing in line at Foodland on a January day in 1990 and heard the checker tell the person in line in front of me that the Eddie was on.  Foodland is the only grocery store on the North Shore, not far from Shark's Cover where Pupu-kea Road meets Kam Highway.  Every surfer who winds up on the North Shore, which is to say pretty much every big-name surfer in the world, finds himself or herself buying some orange juice or tortilla chips at Foodland now and then.  The checkout clerks hear it all and they know everything."

~~~oOo~~~

FIRST CHAPTER, FIRST PARAGRAPH

(from the books prologue on page 1)

"Everyone wonders where you go when you die.  I had a preview.  I was standing in the living room of my mom's house in Pupu-kea, on the North Shore of O'ahu, talking on the phone to my doctor when suddenly the lights went out.  I apprently dropped to the floor.  There was no going toward the light, no reaching for a bright spot at the end of life's long tunnel.  This new place was velvet black, calm and pain-free.  The lack of pain was everything.  I lay there, at peace.

Then I woke up to my brother Liam crying my name."

~~~oOo~~~

So, I'm wondering....

Which reading challenges are you participating in this year?

Have you or someone you know ever surfed?

20 comments:

  1. Surfing doesn't hold much interest for me, but I do like the setting. Hope you enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine! When I was little, I was pulled out in an undertow in the Atlantic...not far, but far enough. I never had a desire to take up surfing. *lol* But you are right, Hawaii is nice!

      Delete
  2. Oh, first of all, the part about standing in line at Foodland took me back...I haven't seen one of those stores in ages, probably not since the 90s.

    I like how everything went black for the narrator...no pain, calm. I thought: I hope that's how it is. LOL.

    Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “FAULTLINES”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember any Foodlands but there was an Acme in the town where I grew up...back in the days of Green Stamps. On the other thing, I'm putting in a request to go peacefully in my sleep. ;)

      Delete
  3. I hadn't planned on doing a reading challenge other than Goodreads this year but yours sounds interesting. I'm going to check it out. Your book intrigues me. I'll check that out, too. Here's my link for today: http://wp.me/p4DMf0-1ra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire your restraint, Lorraine! I tell myself every year I'm not signing up for so many challenges the next year...and every December I just go NUTS! *lol*

      Delete
  4. That's a great opening! I'd keep reading to find out what has happened to him. I also don't know a lot about surfing, so it would be interesting to find out more from this memoir. LOVE the Hawaii setting, too.
    My Tuesday post features Letters From Paris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading a little more into the book, Sandra, I'm surprised he made it to adulthood...his childhood was not what people might call 'traditional'. Think free spirit, hippie type parents. ;)

      Delete
  5. That's an interesting first paragraph. I'd like to keep reading and see where the author is going with this. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW - powerful intro, I'd like to read more. Hope u like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane! I'll never be a surfer, but I do love me some ocean! :O)

      Delete
  7. I like to watch surfers and that intro is definitely strong. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never really thought of it, Paulita, but it is kind of fun to watch...especially if you are on that beach! :O)

      Delete
  8. My brother was a big surfer (no longer after hurting his knee). He would like this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, Nise, I can see him reading, smiling and nodding. It's usually nice to find a little bit of ourselves in our books. :O)

      Delete
  9. I always wanted to learn to surf. Never did though, as the waves are only big enough here during a hurricane. LOL Fun challenge too. Good luck!

    My TT from Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'd err on the side of caution there, too, Laura! I wanted to parasail one summer, but by the time I got the money together, they had closed down for the season the day before! *sigh* Oh well, maybe for my 80th birthday or something. ;)

      Delete
  10. I'm a New Yorker so not much surfing around here! It does still sound interesting, though. The challenge also looks good. Right now I'm only doing the Alphabet Soup challenge (book titles A to Z) and my own last name A to Z author challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, good luck on those hard letters - Q, X, Z, etc. I do the A to Z Blogging Challenge yearly, and those can be a ...well, you know. ;)

      Delete