Friday, January 13, 2017

Friday Bookish Post - Altdorf by J.K. Swift

    

Thanks to Freda from "Freda's Voice" and Gilion at "Rose City Reader" for hosting these bookish link-ups!  Click one of the buttons to go to the link-up page.

Book Blogger Hop   

Thanks to Billy B at the "Coffee Addicted Writer" for hosting this link-up!  Click on the buttons above to go to his blog.
        

Thanks to Ramona at Create With Joy, and Janice at Mostly Blogging for these fun link-ups!  Click on the button to visit the sites to join in!  The more the merrier...really! :O)

~~~oOo~~~


SYNOPSIS

At the end of the thirteenth century, five hundred orphans and second sons are rounded up from villages in the Alpine countryside and sold to the Hospitaller Knights of St John. Trained to serve as Soldiers of Christ, they fight in eastern lands they know nothing about, for a cause they do not understand.

Thomas Schwyzer, released from his vows by the Grandmaster of the Hospitallers, returns to the land of his birth a stranger. Once a leader of men, and captain of the Order's most famous war galley, he now settles into the simple life of a ferryman. He believes this new role to be God's reward for years of faithful service fighting the Infidel in Outremer.

Seraina, considered a witch by most, a healer by some, is a young woman with a purpose. A Priestess of the Old Religion, and the last Druid disciple of the Helvetii Celts, she has been gifted by the Great Weave to see what others cannot. Her people need her guidance and protection now more than ever. For Duke Leopold of Habsburg, in his efforts to control the St. Gotthard Pass, builds a great Austrian fortress in Altdorf. Once finished, the Habsburg occupation will be complete, but the atrocities visited upon her people will have just begun.


BOOK BEGINNINGS

Like shepherds from Hell, the demons drove their flock of evil spirits and twisted minions over the Alps far into the valleys below, spreading disease, insanity, and chaos.  The only warning of their approach was the fohn, a warm, dry wind that preceeded the horde's arrival.  It was not superstition or myth to the locals, but simply and event that occurred a scattering of times every year, and the fohn in the late winter of 1314 was longer and warmer than any could remember.


FRIDAY 56

Pirmin cursed Thomas in his native Wallis dialect, and although Thomas could not understand the words, he was glad ten feet of water separated him from the enraged giant.


BOOK BLOGGER HOP

Thanks to Elizabeth from Silver's Reviews for this week's question:

Is every day a reading day for you?

Unless I'm sick or on the road to Texas (in-laws).  It's not unheard of to finish an average length book in a day, but some days are busier than others.  Now that I've 'rediscovered' reading for pleasure, I really think their should be a UN RDA of Reading!

~~~oOo~~~


~~~oOo~~~

So what's up with YOU these days?  If you have a post for any of the above link-ups, feel free to leave your link in your comment!

16 comments:

  1. Every day is a reading day for me. Some days I'm just able to read longer than other days. I am spotlighting A Merciful Death by Kendra Elliott this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an intense opening. And an intriguing excerpt. Is the giant friend or foe?

    My Friday 56 from Deadly Spirits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friends...mostly, Laura. :O) They were two of the children that were taken away from their homes and sold to be trained as soldiers. They were comrades in arms for like 30 years and recently released.

      Delete
  3. Altdorf sounds likes my cup of tea. I'm definitely intrigued. I'll have to check that one out. Thanks for sharing and stopping over at my blog also. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too, Bill! Altdorf is free to read if you have KU...although it's one of those things that I can 'lend' the Kindle file for 14 days, if you are interested. Let me know. :O)

      Delete
  4. Interesting excerpts! Thanks for sharing, and enjoy. Here's mine: “THE STEP MOTHER”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurel. Yeah, I went back to the beginning for one of the quotes and it was like, "All right! Now THAT's an opening paragraph!" *lol*

      Delete
  5. I try to read every day. Thanks for leaving me the "virtual" time to read on my blog. :)

    I should actually have time today.

    Glad to see you added your post to the linky. Welcome to The Book Blogger Hop. Have a terrific day.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be great if we got coupons for extra reading time for every comment we made on other people's blogs? You'd be raking it in, my friend!

      Delete
  6. I'm definitely interested. Sounds like a great fantasy read! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too, Freda! (Sorry for the "i" thing in my comment on your blog.) The thing that is also cool about this book for me is that it is set in Switzerland, where my mother was born!

      Delete
  7. OMG!! This book sounds SO FREAKING GOOD!! And I've never heard of it before! Well, I'm adding it to my Goodreads shelves right away!!

    As for reading every day, I think most of us bookworms would agree that this is an ABSOLUTE MUST, if only for a few minutes. And I agree that "A day without reading is like a day without sunshine." Very well put!!

    Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting on my own BBH post!! Have a GREAT READING weekend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds cool! I'll have to add it to my tbr! :)


    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG!! That sounds like such an AWESOME book!! Fantasy is one of my FAVORITE genres, and this one sounds SO exciting!! I love the writing in the excerpt you've posted! I'm adding this book to my Goodreads shelves right away!

    As for your Book Blogger Hop answer, I have to read every day, too, but I sure can't finish a book in one day, unless it's a VERY short book. Lol. I do wish I could read faster..... :(

    Thanks for visiting, and commenting on my own BBH post! Hope you have a GREAT week ahead!! :)

    ReplyDelete