Thursday, December 25, 2014

2015 Books in Translation Reading Challenge

Books in Translation Reading Challenge hosted at The Introverted Reader
Image courtesy of hywards at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

The 2015 Books in Translation Reading Challenge is hosted by Jen at TheIntrovertedReader.com:

The goal is obviously to read translations of books, from any language into the language(s) you're comfortable reading in; they don't have to be in English.

You can read any genre and any age range. Crossovers with other challenges are fine. Any format that you choose is also acceptable. The challenge will run from January 1 through December 31, 2014.

Looking for suggestions? She has a shelf on GoodReads you can check out. There's also a Listopia list on GoodReads. Linked reviews for the 2014, 2013, and 2012 challenges are a great resource.

She is not limiting the challenge to bloggers. You can also link to a review you wrote on another site, such as GoodReads or LibraryThing.

Levels:

Beginner: Read 1-3 books in translation
Conversationalist: 4-6
Bilingual: 7-9
Linguist: 10-12
Since I plan on participating in a huge number of challenges, I'm declaring for the "Beginner" level here, which means 1-3 books in translation.

Partly due to my mother having been born in Switzerland, I have some facility with French, German and Russian with a smattering of phrases in other languages (like the Japanese I learned from watching the mini-series "Shogun", or counting from one to ten in Spanish from watching "Sesame Street").  I know I've said this several times before, but it tickles me every time I think about it:  When I was in college (the first time), one semester I took French, German and Russian at the same time.  The French professor asked if I had ever spoken Spanish.  I said no.  She asked, she said, because I spoke my French with a Spanish accent! *lol*

Anyway, since it is a bookish bucket list item for me to read a book written by a native author of each country in the United Nations (or set in said country...haven't quite figured out the rules yet...hoping to have a good amount of time to figure it out), this seems like a very good challenge for me.  I hope you'll consider joining me; click on the button at the top!

~~~oOo~~~

1.  

No comments:

Post a Comment