Friday, January 1, 2016

My 2016 Bardathon Challenge Sign-Up


Thanks to Samantha at the Samantha-Lin blog for hosting this challenge!  Click on Will's picture to go to her site for all the details and to sign up!

Don't you just LOVE these level descriptions?

Complete Shakespearean: Read/watch/engage with all 38 plays, 154 sonnets, and 2 narrative poems (and other various poems if you wish) 
Tragic Shakespearean: Read at least 5 tragedies (as organised in the First Folio)
Comedic Shakespearean: Read at least 5 comedies (as organised in the First Folio)
Historical Shakespearean: Read at least 5 history plays (as organised in the First Folio)
All-rounder Shakespearean: Read at least 3 plays from each of the tragedies, comedies, and histories (as organised in the First Folio)
Late Shakespearean: Read Pericles, Cymbeline, The Winter’s Tale, and The Tempest
Poetic Shakespearean: Read the 154 sonnets, 2 narrative poems, and the various poems (including “A Lover’s Complaint” and “The Phoenix and the Turtle”)
Theatrical Shakespearean: Attend at least 5 plays (these can be live or recorded performances, e.g. a screening of RSC Live at your local cinema, or watching something from Globe on Screen on your computer)
Cinematic Shakespearean: Watch at least 5 screen adaptations
Non-Anglophone Shakespeare: Read/watch/engage with at least 5 Shakespeare adaptations in a language other than English (e.g. Kurosawa’s three Shakespearean films)
Performative Shakespearean: Participate in at least 2 Shakespeare adaptations as cast and/or crew Musical Shakespearean: Engage with 5 Shakespeare-themed concerts (such as this one), operas, ballets, and musicals
Mix-and-match Shakespearean: Participate in any of the above categories (read/watch/listen/perform/play/etc) on at least 5 occasions
I had really wanted to start all my challenges at the lowest level this year as my keeping track of progress ability is ... not the best.  But as Shakespeare is my favorite playwright of all time, I'm going to have to go for the "Complete Shakespearean".

1.  Hamlet (1990) w/Mel Gibson, Glenn Close and Helena Bonham Carter
(watched but not reviewed yet)/

12 comments:

  1. It's great to have you all board, and all the best with your Complete Shakespearean aspirations! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samantha! (I even started watching Hamlet on Netflix today, until the dogs kept tripping over the cords and turning off the tv/dvr!)

      Delete
  2. Good luck. I have thought about revisiting Shakespeare - I haven't read any of his works since high school. I was not ready for him then. Best of luck! Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took a class in college called "Shakespeare's Kings" and loved it, but it's been a few years for me as well.

      Delete
  3. LuAnn, I had no idea there was a Bardathon!! Thanks! I may have to participate next time, for fun. Btw, I have noticed that many quotes attributed to Shakespeare are actually Bible, and many attributed to the Bible are actually Shakespeare. Keeps us on our literary toes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous idea! I loved doing Shakespeare at school and found the comedies so much more fun than I thought they would be. I did Macbeth for one of my exams and loved Dame Judi Dench as Lady Macbeth. I still quote her famous "spot" line when I have dirty hands! Good luck with the Bardathon LuAnn and I look forward to hearing how you get on! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a line my father quoted a LOT! Thanks for your well wishes! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  5. Fabulous idea LuAnn and good luck with the challenge. I think I would find the comedies more enjoyable than the tragedies, except for Macbeth of course. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, if it's got Shakespeare on the cover, I'm down with it, Susan! ;)

      Delete
  6. I have quite a few of his plays and own some more that I do need to read. I am looking forward to doing so :3 I think he is a brilliant writer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Olivia-Savannah! Shakespeare is my all-time favorite!

      Delete