Wednesday, March 5, 2014

IWSG - Starting Over...Again


Every 1st Wednesday of the month, writers of all kinds from all over 'meet' through the "Insecure Writer's Support Group" (or #IWSG, for short), to learn, to share and to support.  It is also a good sounding board for anyone who writes, insecure or not.  Click the button above and go explore the site!

~~~oOo~~~

I was a member of IWSG before it had it's own dedicated website.  I missed a few times and was *ahem* purged.  I don't have a problem with that.  People in the group shouldn't have to visit blogs that aren't participating.  I may have joined again, and deopped it...again.

But I still subscribe to the IWSG blog.  I still follow lots and lots of bloggers who are part of the group.  I still write.  And I'm still insecure about it, so here I am ... again.  

I let my fears and insecurities get to me every once in a while, and 'knock me down'.  So far, I've always gotten back up.  I figure as long as I do that, I have not failed. :O)

Late in December of 2013, I joined SCADS of online Reading Challenges.  Probably too many, but they all seemed so interesting.  From that, I started doing a fair number of book reviews and book tours, including these two in the last couple of weeks that I have REALLY ENJOYED:


Half of what I write is on my blog.  Half is for my college courses.  Notice what's missing?  Any work on my story or book or play ideas.  The part I'm having the most trouble with right now is just starting.  Does anyone know of any programs that lock your computer to other processes until you have written "x" number of words on your current WIP?

I'm starting an organization challenge next week that will hopefully help me focus more on the work at hand and less on the numerous distractions in my life.

Any tips gratefully accepted.  Also occasions kicks in the...but not with steel-tipped boots. :p

-LuAnn #IWSG 323

23 comments:

  1. Welcome Back to IWSG!

    I think lots of writers fall off the list and have to put themselves back on. It happens.

    Yes there is software out there that does what you are taking about. Write or Die is my personal favorite. http://writeordie.com/ You can test it out online and if you like it, it's pretty cheap to purchase ($10 I think). It does all kinds of things, depending on the mode you choose. Gentle mode just flashes to get your attention if you stop writing, Kamikazee mode starts deleting words when you quit writing for a certain amount of time. It's fun. The desktop version has a feature that essentially locks it onto your desktop so you can't get online or do anything else until you've reached the writing goal you've set for the session.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *LOL* I was joking about that! Go figure, eh, Christina? And it also means I'm not the only one out there dealing with distraction! WOOHOO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're never alone. Between Pinterest and Facebook, I'm surprised that I've written what I have. The internet is the best and worst thing to happen to writers.

      Delete
  3. so true. so often.
    thx for sharing [with humour!]

    ReplyDelete
  4. so true. so often.
    thx for sharing. [and with humour!]

    ReplyDelete
  5. What worked for me was a real change in my habits. I followed someone else's advice to "write first" -- that is, I woke up, made coffee, and wrote my fiction. No exceptions, no peeks at anything (in those days the newspaper). Fiction for one hour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice, Jack! Maybe I can add writing to my morning routine. Can't believe I never thought of that!

      Delete
    2. Hard to do with young kids, especially if you're home schooling. I hope hubby is a supporter of your writing as it would be tough without him. I've always been lucky that way. Even 15 minutes a day is something. I found the daily routine so important because that way the characters never leave your subconscious. The story is always being worked on by the brain. :)

      Delete
  6. Sorry you were purged. Can always rejoin at any time. Glad you still follow the website.
    How about a writing retreat where it's just you and a notebook? No distractions then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no, you were quite right to take my name off the list. But I'm ever so thrilled to be back. I consider myself a loyal member of the Ninja Army Auxiliary.

      Wow...a writing retreat. Sounds great. Could I have a computer if there is no internet on it? :O)

      Delete
  7. I've dropped off the list a couple of times too. Lately, there's been reminders so I haven't missed posting.

    I know there are programs out there that are probably what you're looking for but I have no idea what they are called! Ack! Some help I am, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, PL! I never dreamed there would actually BE one but Christina mentioned a "Write or Die" program. But I sure appreciate you taking the time to comment! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  8. I have seen several of the blogs i read participate in this group but haven't clicked over to the site. I might just need to do so! And so many challenges! Good luck with the organization next week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IWSG is a great place to bounce ideas around with other writers, Kate! Yeah, I went hog wild on reading challenges this year. Maybe I should start RCA - Reading Challenge-aholics Anonymous. Thanks for visiting. C'mon back now, y'hear? :O)

      Delete
  9. Wow! You do follow a lot of challenges!!
    LOL :D I need that app to control me from going to facebook and twitter every few minutes while I am doing some work. I just read Christina's comment and OMG, there is an app to help do that!! Wow! People are really creative and think of everything!! :D
    Best wishes for your organization challenge, LuAnn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the well wishes, Shilpa. I'm going to need then!

      Delete
  10. Sorry about you getting dropped, but yeah, it can be annoying to click links that go nowhere. You are super busy! I think no matter what you are writing, it's training for the novels. (At least that's what I tell myself when I go months without looking at a WIP!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice, Elizabeth. I'm going to use that myself! :O)

      Delete
  11. Not sure if I commented as myself or my group alter-ego, or if I commented at all! Too many profiles to manage. Being busy no matter what you are writing is helpful to the novel. It's all good practice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just Do It! Like a band-aid. Come on, one, two, three, start! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL! I feel you about the distractions. The internet is a shiny place and let's not even talk about my reading list!!!

    Working with someone is the best thing I've done for my writing. I have someone who reads along as I write and we set deadlines (next chapter is due Friday). It keeps me moving forward without getting caught up in things like word count.

    ReplyDelete