Friday, March 4, 2016

Friday Bookish Post - March 4, 2016

    

Thanks to Freda from "Freda's Voice" and Gilion at "Rose City Reader" for hosting these bookish link-up!  Click one of the buttons to go to the link-up page.



SYNOPSIS

Texas transplant Pru Parke has put down roots in England, but she never dreamed she’d live in a grand place such as Greenoak. When her former employers offer Pru and her new husband, former Detective Chief Inspector Christopher Pearse, the use of their nineteenth-century estate while they’re away for a year, she jumps at the chance. Sweetening the deal is the prospect of further bonding with her long-lost brother, Simon, who happens to be Greenoak’s head gardener. But the majestic manor has at least one skeleton in its closet—or, rather, its garden.

Working on renovations to the extensive grounds, siblings Pru and Simon squabble about everything from boxwood to bay hedges. But when the removal of a half-dead tree turns up the wreckage of a World War II–era German fighter plane and a pile of bones, the arguments stop. That is, until a rival from Simon’s past pays a surprise visit and creates even more upheaval. It’s suddenly clear someone is unhappy their secrets have been unearthed. Still, Pru’s not about to sit back and let Simon take the fall for the dirty deed without a fight.

~~~oOo~~~

Book Beginnings

The large terra-cotta pot, weathered from the seasons, sported an inch-wide crack that strained at the wire wrapped around its circumference.  Roots of the bay tree, seeking to break free from their encircling confinement, had insinuated themselves through the crack, found open air, and dried up.  The small tree itself seemed to slump, as if resigned to a second-class existence.  Pru and her brother, Simon, stood gazing at it in silence.

~~~oOo~~~

Friday 56

The figure lunged and shoved her away.  She fell back and landed on her bottom in the gravel, shouting in alarm.  As the person ran past her toward the opening, she managed to grab his ankle, and she struggled to stand and keep hold.  The figure kicked loose from her grasp, and the force sent her staggering.  She caught her foot on a guy rope from the marquee, danced a few steps, and went down hard on her stomach.

~~oOo~~~

Book Blogger Hop   

Thanks to Billy B at the "Coffee Addicted Writer" and Ramona at "Create With Joy" for hosting these link-ups!  Click on the buttons above to go to their blogs.

This week's question for the Book Blogger Hop is:

Do you tend to read more in the winter or in the summer months? 

The amount of reading I do does not really change, but the location might.  In winter, I read almost exclusively indoors.  During the summer, I love to sit on the side porch for hours and read. ;)

12 comments:

  1. I read about the same during both seasons. I do admit the holidays mess with my reading but I make time after everyone goes to bed to read. I am addicted to reading of course ;)
    Sportochick’s Musings Answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, Teri. We bookaholics wouldn't have it any other way! :O)

      Delete
  2. I think I'll have to look for this book -- sounds really good! Here's mine Monday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely recommend it, Julie. I love both Marty's series!

      Delete
  3. Highly intriguing 56!! Pulled me right into the mystery! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Freda. It was my favorite of the two quotes...much more evocative than the beginning.

      Delete
  4. Great answer....that holds true for me too about location too.

    I LOVE sitting on my back porch in the summer....my favorite place to read.

    ENJOY your weekend.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth. I hope your weekend includes lots of reading time!

      Delete
  5. That cover is awesome and the snippets sound pretty good, too!

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete
  6. To sit and read for hours sounds heavenly. Maybe when my daughter is older and I retire. LOL I can't say my reading changes because of the seasons at all, but sometimes life events (or work) play a part.

    ReplyDelete