Bell Peppers - geraniums and marigolds deter pests, as do onions, garlic and chives; tomatoes, other peppers, marjoram, basil and oregano provide humidity that is good for peppers.
Canteloupe - corn, pumpkin, squash, collards, borage, oregano, radishes, marigolds, petunias and beans.
Jalapeno Peppers - Sweet peppers, basil, onions, carrots, tomatoes, eggplants, okra, marjoram, parsley and oregano
Pumpkins - corn, melon, squash, marigold, nasturtium, oregano, dill
Strawberries - beans, borage, lettuce, onion, spinach, thyme
Tomatoes - asparagus, basil, bean, carrots, celery, chive, cucumber, garlic, head lettuce, marigold, mint, nasturtium, onion, parsley, pea, pepper, marigold, pot marigold and sow thistle
Watermelon - corn, nasturtium, peas, sunflowers, squash, pumpkin, cucumbers, radishes
It should be noted that there are combinations that have the opposite effect, so there are some plants you should avoid planting in proximity to your 'target plants' (my term)
More information on this topic can be found at: Golden Harvest Organics, How To Garden Advice, eHow, and Yahoo Voices
The October Daily Challenge prompt for October 11th is:
"What are the things you love doing on rainy days?"
When it rains outside, I love to stand on the side porch (former carport) and watch the dogs run around playing. During the last rainstorm I was careful not to venture off the porch under the black walnut tree, because about 50% of the walnuts got pelted to the ground by the storm. It was plain dangerous!
I also enjoy curling up in my UK ('round these parts that means University of Kentucky) snuggie and reading a good book.
Lastly, a nice siesta by an open window is a great rainy-day activity!
Check out what some other bloggers like to do by using the ODC button above and going to the current day's post.
Five Fabulous Things that happened to me this last week?
1. The Behind the Curtain Dessert Challenge at the Lady Behind the Curtain blog. Lots of wonderful pumpkin and cream cheese and one of my highest comment counts in recent memory!
2. The two newest verses of the Hiding Ephesians 1 in My Heart group memorization effort at Do Not Depart. This is going really well. I haven't done a concerted memorization effort of anything since I did my last play, some 20 years ago ... it must be one of those 'back on the bicycle things'. Lots of participants, plenty of opportunity to encourage and celebrate; wonderful!
3. Sneakers' puppies are starting to come out from under the storage shed on their own. We've been worried about them because mama is spending more and more time inside and it's getting cool at night. But they are healthy, happy and cute as the dickens!
4. Well, if I stretch the concept of a week by a day or maybe two, I can include my 52th birthday as a fabulous thing that happened! We went to Gondolier's restaurant in London (Kentucky), and they had a baklava cheesecake. Dessert nirvana. I also asked for (and got) some woodworking tools as I've wanted to make and carve a dining room table for us for a long time ... and it seemed appropriate now that we have our own house.
5. We have two pickup-loads of chopped wood for our heating stove in a big pile in the backyard, enough to keep us toasty through the winter, especially if we have an ice storm like we did a couple of years back that knocked out some people's power for a couple of weeks.
What is a blessing you have received in your life this week?