Saturday, October 12, 2013

#31Days - Herbs & Spices

  Secret Obsession  SixSistersStuff.com


Most of the information out there on companion planting of herbs and spices is geared toward what other plants (fruits, veg) would be benefitted by the specific herbs, etc.

Working list of herbs for 2014 garden:  Basil, Bay leaves, Coriander, Oregano, Rosemary, Thyme;

Working list of spices for 2014 garden: Cinnamon, Cloves, Cumin, Curry Powder, Turmeric

Basil works well with:  tomatoes, peppers, oregano, asparagus; not so with rue or sage.

Bay leaves, in companion planting, seem to work best as a pest repellent.

Coriander comes from the cilantro plant, after it has gone to seed, and works well with:  anise, beans, caraway, dill, peas, potato, spinach.

Oregano works with just about anything, but especially with broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and grapes.

Rosemary works well with:  beans, cabbage, carrots and sage

Thyme works well with:  cabbage, eggplants, potatoes, and tomatoes.

Spices don't appear to figure into companion planting scenarios.  (The above pictures of herbs were obtain from Wikimedia Commons and available under the Creative Commons License.)


*+*+*+*+*

The October Daily Challenge prompt for Saturday, October 11, 2013 is:

"Your day in photos."

I don't think I have enough photos of a typical day to really do this one justice. :/

But I did find a picture of me first thing in the morning:

Shadow photo Shadow.jpg
(This shot has been in my photobucket for y-e-a-r-s.  I no longer remember where I got it.  If it is yours, or you know the source, please let me know?)


3 comments:

  1. I need to do a better job of watering my herbs next summer...I didn't get to make my annual batch of fall pesto with any leftover basil. Interesting about what veggies each herb grows well with. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent list! Pinned it for later! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Liz - Thanks, Liz, have a great week!

    @Penny - You are so welcome. I'm glad you found it of use. :O)

    ReplyDelete