Thursday, July 25, 2013

My Bestest Buddy and Her Papaw




Above is my father-in-law and my daughter.  They wanted to get a picture of the two of them on the plow, but it is old and there's not really room for two to ride.

The reason the plow was over here was to make me a small garden area.  Traditionally, there has been about 6x the space as we will have this year, but let's face it, it's July already.  (Happy Pioneer Day yesterday to my friends in Utah,, BTW!)

This morning, I was up at 5, but could not really start to work on the rows then because it was still pitch black.  But by the time I was tired and filthy a couple of hours later, we had 8 tomato plants and 1 green pepper plant in.  If you recall, they were living in containers on top of the well house.  But since Papaw had put in the work yesterday (Wednesday) with the plow, I wanted to get something in today (Thursday) to show my appreciation.

I had also taken a chance on some 3/$1 seeds at Dollar General (that were 50% off) - cucumbers, green onions and *argh* something else that I just can't remember right now.  Well, there are a total of 11 cucumber seedlings in our pots and they will be added to the garden in a couple of days.  Nothing on the onions, yet, but I am hopeful.  A 2nd trip to DG for other household supplies, I decided to pick up some pumpkin seeds.  One packet, 17 cents, 7 seeds.  It'll be fun to see how much I can get out of that.

Apparently, downstairs is where Mamaw used to keep her canned goods.  Chris says there are close to 2000 jars.  I'm taking his word for it at this point, because I have n-e-v-e-r been down there!  Not once in the 8 years we have lived in Kentucky.  It's 'untelling' (a local expression) how long some of the jars have been down there.  He brought up several jars the other day, several jellies were no longer good, but he said the pickles were just fine.  I'll take his word for that; I am not a pickle fan.

Papaw said we could probably still get some cabbage in.  The kids like cole slaw and in an over-ambitious moment I declared I could try my hand at kimchi.  The ground here has a lot of clay in it and FIL thinks we'd have a hard time digging a hole big enough to bury the kimchi pot.

Oh, before I forget (and before my daughter has to remind me...a-g-a-i-n), the small Webkinz she is holding on the steering wheel is a wolf called Pepper. :O)

8 comments:

  1. I hope your garden does great! Mine is just so-so this year. Oh, well. Love the pictures of your father-in-law on the tractor--we have many with my grandpa on the tractor, and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter is adorable! What a close, happy family she has to enjoy!
    Even if the canned items are no longer edible, you might still want to save the jars - especially if they are vintage!
    Best wishes with your garden. Even though its late in the season I wouldn't be surprised if you are able to grow a nice harvest for picking in autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gardening sounds like such fun! Good luck with the rest of your summer blooms :
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful project. Up before the sun? I feel your excitement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Your daughter is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm envious of your garden. we have a huge feild plowed and only managed to get in 5 tomato plants this year. How long does canned food last? last Christmas, I heard that my Aunt cooked up some green beans and offered it at a potlock. We found out a few weeks later that they were about 21 years old! lol No one became sick though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your garden!! Your family is just precious! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, LuAnn! I love gardens - although I've never gotten into growing them myself!

    Happy Friendship Friday to you!

    Create With Joy
    http://create-with-joy.com

    ReplyDelete