Monday, July 15, 2013

Garden 2013/2014





In the foreground is the wellhouse.  On it rests (amongst other things) a little mushroom that declares "My Garden".  That refers to the container in back of it which was planted two days ago and represents apparently the sum total of my garden for 2013.  We just moved here 1-2 weeks ago, and let's face it, doing anything more is probably a stretch for this year.  

But the good news?  See that fence post on the left hand side of the picture about 1/3 of the way down?  from that to the tree(?) at the top and over to the bigger tree on the right represents the size of the garden we will have from next year on.  I figure we will be able to grow a LOT of veggies and fruit and maybe even get some canning/freezing in.  Our inherited deep freeze is large enough to hold some modern refrigerators.

It's really starting to feel like a home around here, and that's something we haven't had in a long time.

What's that?  You want more gossip from Dog Walk, you say? *LOL*  I found a recipe on the blog Turnips 2 Tangerines for "Overnight Maple French Toast Casserole".  It looked yummy so I decided to print out the recipe and make it for Sunday breakfast.  Well, one of the ingredients was "Apple Fritter Bread".  I didn't think any of the stores around here would have it (except maybe the Amish General Store, and every time I've tried to go there the past week or so has been a "fail".  So I looked up a recipe online and found this at the blog "Flour Me With Love".  Clever name, right?

I gave my husband a list and several things got left at the store.  So early Saturday evening I went to the Dollar Store and got brown sugar and a loaf pan.  Then we were missing the lemon juice.  The girl was about to pout and I did not want to get out again, so hubby offered to go ... bearing in mind that the closest grocery store is about 12-15 miles away.  I thought, well, the lemon juice is basically to keep the apples from turning brown before they are cooked, and something else acidic would probably work just as well.  No orange juice etc available, so what we wound up using was a splash of Redd's Apple Ale.  (FYI, I don't 'get' their commercials but the brew is tasty.)

As if all that wasn't enough, when I went for the brown sugar, I asked if we had eggs.  I was told yes.  Later that night, no, we had no eggs.  I was ready to go to the store at 10:30 pm, but Chris (hubby) called his father (who lives on the next property over, but it's about 5 minutes if you have to drive it).  They rescued us.

So, Saturday night, my 10 year old daughter and I set about making the Apple Fritter Bread.  It's been SOOO humid here recently, the heat in the kitchen (even at 11pm with fans blowing) just about drove. me. CRAZY!

As a thank you, I sent over a couple slices of the bread, which apparently my father in law liked so much, he ate them both before his wife woke up!  Chris said the girl and I may have to make him a loaf every week!  OK, yeah, that made me feel good.  (Maybe by the time Wordless Wednesday rolls around, I will have received my copy of the bread that Chris took yesterday, so y'all can salivate over it too.) *HAHA*

Have a great week!


1 comment:

  1. I didn't get to plant anything this year, but I. Hoping to have time next year too!!

    ReplyDelete