Friday, August 24, 2007

Clouds, Stars and Sky

About an hour ago I was on my back porch, having my last "commune with nature" for the day - by which I mean that period of the day before I sleep. And "commune with nature" is my husband's euphemism for me sneaking out to the back porch to smoke.

I've noticed a disturbing trend of me taking an electronic game (Yahtzee or Solitaire) out with me, but then I concentrate on the game, and don't do much observing. So for my last peach cigarette of the "day", I forced myself to put down the Solitaire game and look at the sky.

The temperature reached 107 F here today, but there were some nice clouds in the sky.

Tonight, I looked up and could not tell if there were a few wispy white clouds in an otherwise clear sky, or a sky full of clouds only broken up by the light of the waxing gibbous moon showing through the thin spots. Then I saw a patch of darker sky with no clouds, as shown by the dozen or so stars twinkling. I came to the conclusion that it was a little of all of my possibilities.

There were no trains or cars that went by, so it was relatively quiet - except, of course, for the chorus of "dueling crickets and tree frogs" with shows every night.

I love small towns.

1 comment: