Wednesday, December 6, 2017

My 2018 Vintage Mystery Challenge Sign-up


Trying to go slow in my sign-ups by choosing books ahead of time.  Usually I sign up for too many and then get overwhelmed.  Anyway, the Vintage Mystery RC (Just the Facts, Ma'am) is hosted by Bev at My Reader's Block.  Click on the button above to go to her blog for the full details and to sign up.

I'll be attempting the 'Constable' level on both the gold and silver level, which is one book from each of the six categories per card.

The Golden Age card refers to mysteries written before 1960.


(links below currently go to GoodReads)

WHO - Partners in Crime by Agatha Christie, 1st pub 1929 (crime-solving duo)
WHAT - The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins, 1st pub 1859 (color in title, ref to woman)
WHEN - Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie, 1st pub 1934 (during a trip
WHERE - The Clue of the Twisted Candle by Edgar Wallace, 1st pub 1916 (locked room)
HOW - A Terrible Secret by May Agnes Fleming, 1st pub 1874 (???)
WHY - The Paradise Mystery by J.S. Fletcher, 1st pub 1921 (new-to-me-author)

~~~oOo~~~

The Silver Card refers to mysteries written between 1960 and 1989.


WHO - The Godfather by Mario Puzo, 1969 (patriarch)
WHAT - The Spy Who Came in From the Cold by John le Carre, 1963 (ref to man, two title words same letter)
WHEN - In Cold Blood by Truman Capote, 1966 (a historic crime)
WHERE - We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson,1962 (castle/village)
HOW - The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien, 1967 (method)
WHY - The Unexpected Mrs Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman, 1966 (new to me author)

For right now, these are tentative titles/categories.  Some may not actually fit, some may need to be changed for whatever reason, but it's a place to start.

~~~oOo~~~

Remember, go to 2018 Vintage Mystery Challenge HQ at My Reader's Block for full details and to join the challenge!

2 comments:

  1. So Glad you're detecting with me this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the lists will really help. And I already have the files or links, so no excuses this year! :O)

    ReplyDelete