Monday, February 18, 2013

Proverbs 31: 16-17

Marriage Moment

PROVERBS 31 (KJV)

16.  She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.

17.  She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.

I was originally going to memorize more verses this week, but there is so much going on in just the above two, that I thought it wise to consider them more closely.

"She considereth a field and buyeth it...."  When a wife makes a purchase to increase her family's bottom line, it takes study and a wise decision.  To me, t his implies that she has some level of education or street smarts.  She doesn't necessarily ask permission from her husband, but the purchase is made with his welfare also in mind.  It doesn't even have to be land.  But land, or real estate, etc, is one of the few things that most people have to buy on credit.  Buying the latest car, gadget or style does not generally justify spending money you don't have readily available.

"...with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard."  Once a major purchase has been made, steps must be taken to maintain and/or improve its value.  In the case of a house, repairs or updates can be made or re-decorating can be done.  A piece of land can be used to plant a home garden, graze farm animals.  There is a local property that we pass every time we go to my in-laws on which there will be a day-long sustainability fair at then end of March.

"She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms."  A life close to the home, close to the land is not for the weak of limb nor the faint of heart.  So a wise woman will do several things.  Firstly, she will educate herself so that she can choose the best use of the land.  Secondly, she will have the proper protective gear so that her body and health are protected - gloves, pads to kneel on in the garden, a bottle of water to stay hydrated are just a few of the things that spring to mind.  Lastly, anyone who personally does the house and yard work know that it gives you plenty of load-bearing exercise.  So to mention some stretching and healthy eating would not be out of place.

I also want to honor and mention the women and men who work outside the home, also the soldiers and their families.  Neither work life (in or out of the home) is easy.  To paraphrase an oldish saying, "It takes a village ... to raise a village."

Please click on the button above and visit other great blogs linked to "Inspire Me Monday", "Matrimonal Monday" and "Marriage Monday".  I'd love to hear one thing you will do (or have been doing) to strengthen yourselves this week!

6 comments:

  1. Very thought provoking! I find that the best strength I have is when I remain calm to counsel my husband and adult daughters on problems that arise. It is so tempting sometimes to cut them off and say "oh just deal with it!" or "there's worse problems out there" or "STOP WHINING!" It takes a tremendous amount of strength - for me - to listen and then advise patiently. I work on this skill every day because it doesn't come easy to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks J! And I'm right there with you on the listen first-talk after issue. Sending many strength and patience vibes your way! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really some good considerations.

    Thanks for connecting with my Marriage Moment. I have the inlinkz tool up and running if you want to stop back and add in. Sorry, I thought I had already done it but I guess it was overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Renee, I'm all linked up now. And I'm doubly glad you commented, because I found out I had copied the code wrong and my link above went to your Photobucket i/o your blog. But that is fixed now too! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice analysis of the verses♫ Here's my Inspire Me effort: http://lmkazmierczak.blogspot.com/2013/02/mosaic-mosaic.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Laurie! I loved your poem about Moses and the Israelites' years in the desert. How quickly they/we forget, eh?

    ReplyDelete